By Tanda Cook
This is a fabulous way to enjoy the plethora of spinach and strawberries coming out of the garden and off the farms this summer.
This dressing resembles the flavor of lemon poppy seed cake and is good enough to enjoy for a dessert.
- Salad Ingredients
- 1 large bunch spinach
- ½ pint strawberries, washed and sliced
- ½ c sliced almonds or pine nuts
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- optional: 3 oz plain chevre goat cheese, crumbled
- Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- ½ c apple cider vinegar
- ½ c organic olive oil
- ¼ c real maple syrup
- Zest of half of a lemon
- Juice of whole lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ c poppy seeds
- ½ tsp sea salt
- In a pint sized jar combine all dressing ingredients, close tightly with a lid, and shake until oil and vinegar are well emulsified.
- Then combine all salad ingredients, except Chevre, in large salad bowl.
- Generously dress salad and toss.
- Then add optional chevre to top.
- Try This: Because this is a sweeter salad, serve it with bitter, sour, or savory flavors like herb roasted chicken, steak with olive tapenade, or pork tenderloin.